Unless the governing documents provide otherwise, a secretary's duties are as follows:
- oversee giving notice of board and membership meetings,
- ensure that minutes of meetings are taken and approved (can use assistant),
- sign a copy of the final, approved minutes,
- oversee the preparation of the membership list,
- file appropriate documents with the Secretary of State,
- as custodian of records, ensure that the association's records are maintained, and
- frequently co-signs checks with the president or treasurer.
Delegate. The secretary may delegate many of his/her duties to the manager, management company, or an assistant, but must oversee the work.
ASSISTANCE: Associations needing legal assistance can contact us. To stay current with issues affecting community associations, subscribe to the Davis-Stirling Newsletter.