Increase board
Adams Stirling PLC


Some associations allow everyone who runs for the board to serve as a voting director, even if it exceeds the number called for in the bylaws. Exceeding the authorized number is improper and creates the potential for a legal challenge.

Amend Bylaws. If associations want to increase the size of their boards, they must amend their bylaws. They may also need to amend their Articles of Incorporation and CC&Rs. Articles commonly set the number of directors for the corporation. Older CC&Rs, especially if the association was originally unincorporated, will establish the number of directors (sometimes called a board of governors) for the association. All three documents must be examined if an association seeks to change the size of its board.

ASSISTANCE: Associations needing legal assistance can contact us. To stay current with issues affecting community associations, subscribe to the Davis-Stirling Newsletter.

Adams Stirling PLC