Adams Stirling PLC


Even if an association carries earthquake insurance, individual unit owners need to carry their own earthquake insurance to cover loss to personal property, living expenses while the association repairs the building and special assessments levied by the association to pay for repairs.

The California Earthquake Authority (CEA) offers basic coverage to owners of condominiums. Coverage can be purchased through a homeowner's own insurance agent and can be purchased regardless of any insurance carried by the association. With limitations, it pays for:

  • damage to personal property

  • interior damage

  • emergency living expenses

  • special assessments levied by condominium associations to pay for earthquake related repairs to residential structures

Homeowners can calculate the cost of a CEA policy with their "Premium Calculator."

Other Insurance. Owners should also carry an HO-6 insurance policy.

ASSISTANCE: Associations needing legal assistance can contact us. To stay current with issues affecting community associations, subscribe to the Davis-Stirling Newsletter.

Adams Stirling PLC