Adams Stirling PLC


Exterior Changes. By statute (Civ. Code ยง4760(b)) any changes to the exterior appearance of an owner's house, condominium or townhouse must be done in accordance with the association's governing documents as well as applicable provisions of the law, such as the Building Codes. Accordingly, alterations to a structure requires that owners obtain permits from the Department of Building and Safety.

Interior Changes. Condominiums and townhouses almost always require association architectural approval whenever alterations are made to the interior of units. Such requirements are normally found in the CC&Rs. Planned developments with single family homes on lots normally do not require association approval for internal alterations. The association's CC&Rs, rules and regulations, and architectural standards must be reviewed in each case.

ASSISTANCE: Associations needing legal assistance can contact us. To stay current with issues affecting community associations, subscribe to the Davis-Stirling Newsletter.

Adams Stirling PLC