We amend and restate bylaws to provide associations with easy-to-read and understand documents. Following are some of the changes we incorporate into our restated bylaws:
- establish ethics standards for directors,
- eliminate cumulative voting to stop "proxy wars" and make elections conform to municipal election models,
- eliminate quorum requirements for the election of directors so that elections are like municipal and state elections,
- eliminate nominating committee language so as to avoid conflicts with the statutory self-nomination requirements,
- eliminate floor nominations and write-ins so elections can be conducted entirely through the mail and eliminate balloting when elections are uncontested,
- add 2-year staggered terms to create continuity and stability on the board,
- add director qualifications requiring that candidates for the board be owners, not be in litigation with the association, not be a convicted felon, etc.,
- establish a record date for elections,
- add due process procedures for suspending voting rights,
- add procedures for the inspection of records, and
- put the entire document in plain English so it can be easily read and understood.
For more information or to receive a proposal regarding ylaw amendments and restatements, email us.