Adams Stirling PLC
  California's Leader in Community Association Law July 7, 2023
QUESTION: If a candidate is on the ballot and then withdraws during the election, can he decide to return once he finds out he received enough votes to win? –Jan G.
ANSWER: No, he can't. There are two reasons why the x-candidate cannot claim the seat. First, once he withdrew from the race, members may have shifted their votes, especially when there is cumulative voting. It can skew election results impacting other candidates and lead to an election challenge.
Second, once the votes were tallied, the Inspector of Elections would have invalidated the x-candidate's votes and announced the election of other candidates to the open seats. Your x-candidate cannot change his mind after the election is over and decide he wants back in. He will need to wait for next year's election.
QUESTION: Since boards are now allowed to declare elections by acclamation (if the number of nominations received is equal to or less then the number of vacancies open), what if there are no candidates? I assume the board would need to appoint a director. –Steve C.
ANSWER: To declare election winners you need candidates. If no one is willing to step up, there is no one to elect. In that case, the current directors remain in office until the next election. In some associations, this might go on for years where members are content to let the existing directors continue managing the association. As provided for in Corporations Code § 7220(b):
Except as otherwise provided in the articles or bylaws, each director, including a director elected to fill a vacancy, shall hold office until the expiration of the term for which elected and until a successor has been elected...
If there are no candidates in the election causing existing directors to carry over, and a director decides to vacate his/her seat, the remaining directors will need to seek out and convince another member to fill the seat. If there are staggered terms, boards will sometimes lose track of which seats are up for election. When that occurs, the board will need to decide among themselves who will stand for election each year.
Even though apathy is a problem for many associations, it is sometimes the result of good management by directors. Homeowners are content to let existing directors continue in office if they believe they are doing a good job. When that occurs, existing directors struggle to convince others to give time to serving on the board.

QUESTION: SB 326 states that "This section shall only apply to buildings containing three or more multifamily dwelling units." Our association has twenty buildings, with only two condos per building. Does that mean we don't need to inspect our balconies? -Bill

ANSWER: Even though you have 40 balconies (20 buildings times 2), a strict reading of the statute exempts your association from the requirements of invasive inspections. (Civ. Code § 5551(l).) Even though you are exempted, you still need to make visual inspections every three years for your reserve study requirements.

The problem with external visual inspections is that they are external. They can't detect dry rot and termite damage to a balcony's structural elements. If any of your balconies collapse causing injuries or deaths, it is almost guaranteed your association will be sued.

Plaintiffs will seek a jury trial and allege the board was negligent in their maintenance obligations and their failure to properly inspect balconies when every other association in the state was performing invasive inspections.
A jury would likely agree with plaintiff's counsel and award substantial damages to the victims. The litigation will negatively impact property values, the buying and selling of units, and insurance premiums. Moreover, the failure of one balcony means all balconies will need to be inspected either during or after the litigation.

RECOMMENDATION: It is less expensive to conduct a § 5551 inspection of your elevated structures than to defend against a wrongful death action. If the inspection finds problems, you can address them and avoid potential harm to residents. If the inspection determines your balconies are in good shape, it provides a layer of protection for the association (and directors) in the event one were to collapse. In addition to inspections, you should institute a regular plan of preventive maintenance and  balcony repairs.


QUESTION: Can we have a paid architect replace one of the members of our architectural committee? –Bita

ANSWER: It depends on your CC&Rs. If they require that members of the architectural committee be members of the association, a non-member architect cannot serve on the committee. The architect can, however, review plans, attend meetings, and make recommendations to your architectural committee.

If your governing documents do not require committee members be members of the association, your paid architect can serve as a voting member of the committee.

RECOMMENDATION: If associations can afford to have a licensed architect assist their architectural committee, they should do so. It can save them a lot of problems with owner submissions and potential legal expenses. It has been my experience that an owner submitting plans for architectural review will more readily accept feedback from an independent third party architect working for the association than from their neighbor serving on the committee.

KUDOS: Thank you! The board met last Thursday, and being new to the board, I wasn’t sure I should speak up. The information on your website gave me the confidence I needed to broach a subject. Should we feel we need better counsel than we have now, I’ll definitely suggest your firm! Thank you again. -Laura

Love your newsletters! As a former board member and longtime homeowner, I find the information useful, easy to understand, and often times very timely for issues in our HOA. –Debbie D.

Boards can contact us--we're friendly and our rates are competitive.

Adrian J. Adams, Esq.
Founder & Co-Managing Partner
DISCLAIMER. Our newsletter provides commentary, not legal advice. Boards need to retain an attorney to review all the facts and give a legal opinion on the issues they face. We serve as corporate counsel to California associations only. Request a proposal to represent your association.

PAST NEWSLETTERS. Readers can find current and prior year newsletters posted here. Older newsletters are not posted since the information they contain can change over time with new statutes and case law. The website, however, is kept updated with current information which can be found via the "Index" or through our website's internal "Google Search" feature.

I join Adrian in inviting you to contact us for your association's legal needs.

Hon. Lawrence W. Stirling, Senior Partner and author of the Davis-Stirling Act

60 Rausch Street
560 Haight Street
Apple Valley Estates Master
Cedar Creek Village
Coventry Court
Deerfield Village
Malibu Coastline
Maze Stone Village
Villa Corona
Willowbrook of Santa Lucia Hills
Visit our library of 2-Minute Videos

  Contact us to amend your governing documents to comply with rent restrictions required by AB 3182.

If you know someone who should receive our newsletter, add their email address here: NEWSLETTER
We offer them at an affordable fixed price. Contact Us

ADAMS|STIRLING Litigation Department We handle all HOA litigation needs.
Contact Us

CC&Rs and Bylaws
Contact Us 
Articles may be reprinted provided there are no changes and the following is included:

Reprinted from by ADAMS|STIRLING PLC

Our knowledge of the Davis-Stirling Act
runs deep.

offers growth opportunities and excellent benefits for attorneys. Call Adrian Adams at 800-464-2817
or send an email.