Cancel Membership
Adams Stirling PLC


QUESTION: We have a property owner who is in arrears. Can we remove him from membership in the HOA? Our bylaws state that we can suspend voting privileges, which we have done, but we would like to remove him completely from the membership.

ANSWER: The board cannot remove his membership. Membership is automatically conferred by ownership of a lot or condominium in a common interest development. The only way a delinquent owner can lose his membership is when he sells his unit or loses it through foreclosure. When that occurs, loss of membership is automatic.

ASSISTANCE: Associations needing legal assistance can contact us. To stay current with issues affecting community associations, subscribe to the Davis-Stirling Newsletter.

Adams Stirling PLC