< < Previous . . ADAMS|STIRLING . . Next > >
Civil Code §4746. Solar Panels on Common Area Roofs.
(a) When reviewing a request to install a solar energy system on a multifamily common area roof shared by more than one homeowner pursuant to Sections 714 and 714.1, an association shall require both of the following:
(1) An applicant to notify each owner of a unit in the building on which the installation will be located of the application to install a solar energy system.
(2) The owner and each successive owner to maintain a homeowner liability coverage policy at all times and provide the association with the corresponding certificate of insurance within 14 days of approval of the application and annually thereafter.
(b) When reviewing a request to install a solar energy system on a multifamily common area roof shared by more than one homeowner pursuant to Sections 714 and 714.1, an association may impose additional reasonable provisions that:
(A) Require the applicant to submit a solar site survey showing the placement of the solar energy system prepared by a licensed contractor or the contractor’s registered salesperson knowledgeable in the installation of solar energy systems to determine usable solar roof area. This survey or the costs to determine useable space shall not be deemed as part of the cost of the system as used in Section 714.
(B) The solar site survey shall also include a determination of an equitable allocation of the usable solar roof area among all owners sharing the same roof, garage, or carport.
(2) Require the owner and each successive owner of the solar energy system to be responsible for all of the following:
(A) Costs for damage to the common area, exclusive use common area, or separate interests resulting from the installation, maintenance, repair, removal, or replacement of the solar energy system.
(B) Costs for the maintenance, repair, and replacement of solar energy system until it has been removed and for the restoration of the common area, exclusive use common area, or separate interests after removal.
(C) Disclosing to prospective buyers the existence of any solar energy system of the owner and the related responsibilities of the owner under this section.
(c) For purposes of this section:
(1) “Association” has the same meaning as defined in Section 4080 or 6528.
(2) “Common area” has the same meaning as defined in Section 4095 or 6532.
(3) “Separate interest” has the same meaning as defined in Section 4185 or 6564.
(d) This section imposes additional requirements for any proposed installation of a solar energy system on a multifamily common area roof shared by more than one homeowner.
(e) This section does not diminish the authority of an association to impose reasonable provisions pursuant to Section 714.1.
(Added by Stats. 2017, Ch. 818, Sec. 3. (AB 634) Effective January 1, 2018.)